[mythtv-users] To survive the switch to digital...

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Mon Dec 1 04:27:11 UTC 2008

Nick Ellson wrote:
> I have Comcast Cable with just basic channels + Discovery (they put a
> low pass filter on my line to block the rest of the basic cable
> channels and charge me much less $14.99/month) And I am currently
> using two PVR500 dual tuners so that my wife has 4 tuners to record
> various TV with.
>
> I have no interest in messing with HD TV as we record most everything
> and don't really have the space.
>
> I want to understand what I am up against with the switch to Digital.
> I was told (though I am not sure they understood) by comcast that I
> would get two boxes that do the conversions for me from their digital
> signal to something my tuners can handle.
>
> Any advice on what I can read up on about what I will be getting into?
>
> Nick

Comcast has been mandated by the FCC to keep their analog running until
2012.  If they're telling you that you'll need a set top box to get
television after Feb 2009 they're lying to you.  If they do turn off the
analog from your cable line before 2012, they'll have to answer to the FCC.
Most likely, they are trying to get you to pay an additional $10/month by
telling you to switch to the digital tier, which will require a set top box.

So the answer is you are just fine to keep operating as normal with your SD
set and basic cable.  Your PVR500s will be able to tune to the analog signal
as always.

IIRC ;)
-http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070912-fcc-to-cable-you-must-support
-analog-tvs-until-2012.html

Now, you need to remember the FCC can mandate comcast to send broadcast
television (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX) down the lines in clear analog until 2012,
but I don't see what's stopping Comcast from moving your Discovery and other
channels to the digital tier, at which point you won't be able to tune to
them with a PVR-500.

Brian