[mythtv-users] Just how great can VDPAU be?

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Mon Dec 1 05:04:54 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>, said on Sun Nov 30, 2008 [08:50:51 PM]:
} On Nov 30, 2008, at 8:40 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
}
} > Steve Heistand <steve at heistand.org> says:
} >> as a data point my 256M 8600gt works on some files (7% load vs
} >> 25-30% on cpu for same file) and some files it does have issues. The
} >> audio goes normally but the video loops the same 1-2 sec segment.
} >
} > For other VDPAU experimenters, is this due to the newly-reported
} >> 256MB video RAM requirement?
}
} I have an nVidia 256MB 8400GS and haven't seen anything like this. I
} bumped up my HD-PVR to the highest quality setting and it all looks
} good aside from some sync line near the top of the screen. I think my
} display is set to 60hz but Ubuntu will only let me set it to 61 for
} some reason. OTA HD looks blocky, h264 content looks beautiful. OSD is
} all white and unusable. I'd say it's a pretty excellent start!
}

the files it has issues on are all mkv files. probably 1080i x264 but
its hard to say for sure. recordings from the hdpvr and hdhr all
worked fine. but the osd is unuseable as well.

--
"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
steve at heistand.org