[mythtv-users] Low Power Frontends (in anticipation of nvidia's new API)

leo fischer lsf.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 11:05:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> I've never delved much into the art of small quiet machines, but now
>> that 90% of my content comes via my hd-pvr and nvidia's new API
>> offloading decoding to the video card I imagine building a quiet tiny
>> low-power machine is now in the VERY affordable price range.
>>
>> Any recommendations of such a machine that would be comparable to my
>> AppleTV but accommodate a video card with a GPU supported by the new
>> API?
>>
>> -Brad

I don't know why everyone is so excited about using current atom or
epia boards with VDPAU.
Via epia boards are hugely expensive, and you won't be using any of
the features you pay extra for (tv-out, etc.)  Current atom boards,
although cheap, all use the ancient 945 chipset, and with both you
have to buy an expensive & rare PCI card that supports VDPAU.
You might as well buy an integrated nvidia chipset board (8x00 or
9x00) and a low power CPU.  silentpcreivew rates the atom D945CLF as
using 27W at idle http://www.silentpcreview.com/article865-page5.html,
vs ~40W at idle with a 8300 & 4850e
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article853-page5.html or ~40w at idle
for a 9300 & e7200 http://www.silentpcreview.com/article892-page5.html
& you should get even better idle numbers with a 45nm 5x00 intel cpu,
for a similar price to the epia.  This would match or beat almost any
combination of epia or atom board + nvidia gfx card you could get.
The only catch is that I can't find any info on how well linux behaves
on the nvidia igp boards, although they are obviously supported by the
new nvidia driver.

There's even the JETWAY NC62K-LF with the 8200 iif you're stuck on
mini-itx, which goes for about $150 here in japan.