[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Mon Dec 1 16:48:16 UTC 2008

> > > Any advice, websites, books, etc out there for wiring a home during
> > > construction?

> > Don't run cable, run conduit then pull cable.  A 1" conduit can probably
> > hold 3-4 cables comfortably.  Run it all to a central location where your
> > hub/server will be with no more than 2 ells and you're golden.

Yes!  I wish my house had conduit.

> plus make sure to run a few extra outlets to areas you know or even think
> you may have a lot of electronics at.

Yup, but consider surge protection.  The best solution might be a
whole-house surge protector.  Of course, you'll probably want a UPS on
any backend equipment (computer, cable box, HDHomeRun, etc.), and in my
case that results in using one plug for everything (my UPS has
non-battery outlets that are surge protected).

Going to a system with a house-wide UPS with special outlets for
battery-backed equipment is probably overkill for most people.  (I think
that's essentially what hospitals do, only with a generator.)