[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 1 16:57:53 UTC 2008

On Monday 01 December 2008 09:50:12 Scott Milliken wrote:
> Yan Seiner wrote:
> > On Mon, December 1, 2008 8:27 am, Matt S. wrote:
> >> Hi!  Sorry for the OT, but I figured that the topic ties into this
> >> community pretty nicely
> >>
> >> Any advice, websites, books, etc out there for wiring a home during
> >> construction?  I'll be starting to build my house in the next month or
> >> so from the ground up.  I've pretty much got carte blanche on what I
> >> can do, and I plan to do most of the wiring for cat6, coax, phone,
> >> A/V, speaker, etc myself to gain some sweat equity, and I'm just a DIY
> >> kinda guy - which I'm sure most of you on this list can relate to.
> >>
> >> So... Where should I start?  I want to do it "right", and I want to
> >> make sure that I'm futureproofing it as much as I can.  I've got some
> >> general ideas and thoughts, and I'm no stranger to making cables, I've
> >> just never done a full home setup before from the ground up.
> >
> > Don't run cable, run conduit then pull cable.  A 1" conduit can probably
> > hold 3-4 cables comfortably.  Run it all to a central location where your
> > hub/server will be with no more than 2 ells and you're golden.
> >
> > You can always pull cable later as needed.
> >
> > --Yan
>
> And just as important as putting in the conduit - get plenty of pull
> string to put into each conduit.  I had a friend put conduit in his
> house and he forgot to put in string, so the first cable pull ended up
> having to be forced from one end through to the other.

There are many ways to get a pull through a conduit, including blowing a cone
(think old-style paper cup) through with a vacuum cleaner. A fish tape should
go through an empty conduit easily, if it doesn't, then the conduit layout
was poorly designed.

But leaving a pull line in the pipe is always a good idea.

Be sure to use lots of wire lube when pulling, messy, but easier on the cables
(and the puller).

--
beww
beww at beww.org