[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Dec 1 19:58:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 08:31:57AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:

> On Mon, December 1, 2008 8:27 am, Matt S. wrote:
> > Hi!  Sorry for the OT, but I figured that the topic ties into this
> > community pretty nicely
> >
> > Any advice, websites, books, etc out there for wiring a home during
> > construction?  I'll be starting to build my house in the next month or
> > so from the ground up.  I've pretty much got carte blanche on what I
> > can do, and I plan to do most of the wiring for cat6, coax, phone,
> > A/V, speaker, etc myself to gain some sweat equity, and I'm just a DIY
> > kinda guy - which I'm sure most of you on this list can relate to.
> >
> > So... Where should I start?  I want to do it "right", and I want to
> > make sure that I'm futureproofing it as much as I can.  I've got some
> > general ideas and thoughts, and I'm no stranger to making cables, I've
> > just never done a full home setup before from the ground up.
> >

> Don't run cable, run conduit then pull cable.  A 1" conduit can probably

    Regardless, you're probably going to need to get your own speciality
contractors for this. Normal subs are barely familiar with cat5. If you
get into anything more exotic than that they will not have any clue what
you are asking of them. They will screw it up.

    I wouldn't expect any residential subs to know anything about conduit.
That's commercial level stuff.

[deletia]

    I used structured cabling. After seeing what the subs did with the
cat5 used for the phone wiring, I figured that they need to be given a
cable that will resist abuse somewhat on it's own. It's of course a lot
less future proof than conduit but I it was at least something that the
standard subs could handle and something that didn't frighten the general.

    A lot will depend on what you can get your general contractor to
agree to. Some builders are more flexible than others.