[mythtv-users] Just how great can VDPAU be?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Dec 2 12:58:38 UTC 2008

Alex Butcher wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>
>> Seeing as the nVidia interlace problem is associated with XV, is there
>> any chance it will be fixed by use of VDPAU? I'd just love to buy
>> a mobo with integrated 8XXX graphics, and for now just drive my SD
>> TV via VGA=>Scart, knowing that I have HD capable hardware for when
>> I eventually need it.
>
> I think the answer is probably to go with the OpenGL video renderer with
> 6xxx and above. OpenGL almost works on my P4 2.53/Geforce4 440MX/combined
> FE+BE, and I reckon a 6200 or better would probably manage, and with
> reasonable CPU load. 6200s are pretty cheap these days, so maybe I'll give
> on a whirl shortly.

I think I tried OpenGl with an FX5200. Maybe I'll give it another go. I
thought I tried every option. If you do experiment I'd be very
interested in how you get on. I hopefully have a Radeon 7000 on
its way from Hong Kong, which has a good chance of working with
the radeon driver.

> The only problem that then remains is getting the fields consistently in the
> right order.

I can put up with that: just a bit of pausing an unpausing.

Cheers,
	Paul.