[mythtv-users] Semi OT: xorg.conf and 46" Samsung LCD help.

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 16:43:36 UTC 2008

2008/12/2 Jonny B <jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 6:27 AM, C.T. Paterson <i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/11/29 Jonny B <jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Some things that I've tried: adding the modelines to the monitor
>>> section (commented out at this point), which for whatever reason seems
>>> to cause the image to be drawn halfway off the screen.
>>
>> I've had that happen...it was always because the selected display
>> resolution of the Television was not in agreement with the output rez
>> of the video card.  When you set your card to use 1920x1080, make sure
>> you select that resolution within the TV's menus as well.
>
> What's interesting is that my TV doesn't give me any options for that.
> I can change between 4x3 and 16x9, but it automatically detects the
> resolution and displays it in the corner every time it changes. I
> guess for now I will be satisfied with 1600x1200 on a 46" LCD, which
> is a LOT better than the 1024x768 screen I got on my 32" tube.

You could well be correct...and you're in a better position than I to
determine it, but based on my own difficult experience getting my LCD
TV to work with myth, I'll encourage you to check again.  Explore your
TV's menu systems thoroughly.

My TV also had "autodetect", and allowed me to change aspect ratio,
and move the screen about (up/down/left/right) -- and for a long time,
these are the tools I was using while wrestling with xorg to get my
screen to appear properly.

It was only buried within the menus, behind an option that (frankly)
wasn't intuitively named as the place to go to mess with resolutions
that I found the screen rez set to 1024x768, despite the fact my card
was outputting 1360x768 and it was appearing on the screen (offset,
though it was).

Cheers.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
                                        -- Thomas Paine