[mythtv-users] To survive the switch to digital...

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 21:51:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

>>   As for us here, the more we can get online - like NCIS, Heros and
>> more on NetFlix Watch Instantly - the the less we are held prisoner by
>> Comcast cable subscriptions. However Comcast does lower Internet
>> access fees when you subscribe to TV so if we drop our TV subscription
>> then we pay more for Internet.
>>
>>   I expect it's all going to end up being sort of a game of chicken.
>> Only time will tell how it might work out. I want to investigate over
>> the air HDTV antennas and then recording those. Maybe look for more
>> online services and start paying more attention to what the broadcast
>> networks offer over the Internet.
>
> I just refuse to use Comcast for Internet as well.  AT&T was happy to sell
> me a naked DSL line.  1.5Mbps is actually plenty right now for streaming
> non-HD content.  Hopefully FIOS or U-verse will be more available as HD
> streaming become reality
>
> Kevin

I currently have a Verizon DSL line as a back up. I trade stocks for a
living and cannot afford to not have a connection, so I spend an extra
$30/month. I use Comcast mostly but I'm currently streaming Judgment
at Nuremberg over DSL. Did all day today. Plays perfectly even with 3
different stock quote platforms streaming prices all day long. To the
best of my knowledge Verizon does not yet limit bandwidth/month but I
suspect that will show up one of these days. Maybe not though. Only
time will tell.

I'm interested in FIOS but it's not available here as of yet.

- Mark