[mythtv-users] MythTV not using virtual tuners

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 08:08:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:38 PM, MythTV <MythTV at assuredsolutions.com> wrote:
>> I have 2 HD-5500 cards in my MythTV system.  I have deleted and
>> reconfigured each card to have 3 virtual tuners.  MythTV says I have
>> 6 virtual turners available.  However, when I schedule shows, only 2
>> tuners are ever used.  Do I have to configure MythFrontend to use all
>> tuners or should it just automatically happen?
>>
>> I'm not sure if I know how/when Multirec is going to work for me.
>> Documentation says that I can do simultaneous recordings on the same
>> stream.  However, other people say I can do simultaneous recording on
>> different channels.  Is a channel the same thing as as stream?
>
> I only know about DVB not ATSC, but in DVB the broadcasts are sent out
> on a "multiplex". There are several "channels" per multiplex. A
> channel typically consists of a video stream, one or more audio
> streams and zero or more caption streams. A multiplex corresponds to a
> frequency to tune your card to. Using multirec you can record/watch
> all the channels on one multiplex using one card.

ATSC works similar. For OTA, it depends very much on your
broadcasters. Lets just say you have channels 3.1, 3.2, 6.1, 6.2
,10.1, 10.2 and 10.3

You could record something from 3.1 on one tuner and 3.2 on the
virtual tuner, on the same card. same with 6.1 and 6.2, and 10.1-10.3.
You can NOT record something from 3.1 and something from 6.2 on the
same card, because they are different streams. Make sense? For OTA,
multirec has very little usefulness, except to avoid back to back
recordings on the same channel (which doesn't work by default, but I
believe there's a way to change...I need to look into this for my
setup... but that's another topic)

~Jon