[mythtv-users] UK: Sky channel number fixer?

David Greaves myth at dgreaves.com
Wed Dec 3 16:19:06 UTC 2008

Nick Morrott wrote:
> The intention is to interface the lineups project so that it will work
> with XMLTV grabbers, allowing TV platform lineups to be imported into
> end-user applications with up-to-date channel numbering. It should
> allow matching against existing scanned channels based on DVB
> name/service ID, analog channel number, and URL in the case of IPTV,
> and allow the importing of channel lists for providers such as Sky and
> Virgin where a user cannot 'scan' for channels but must manually
> configure them.
>
> For MythTV it is possible simple scripts which scrape a site
> (Wikipedia for example) for the current channel lineup and update the
> database with updated channel numbering. I'm hoping that the XMLTV
> lineups project can allow this to happen automagically whenever the
> grabber is run.

FYI the serial port on the back of a Sky box outputs the channel name etc when
you change channel.
So finding a quiet spot in the schedule and changing to each channel using lirc
and recording the number/name mapping gets the data from a primary source.
The main issue with this is that some channels like 101/103 are regionalised.

Of course doing this centrally and saving it to supplement.xmltv.org is more
viable than requiring a serial port connection :)

David