[mythtv-users] Playback issues on LIRC button press/gnome-screensaver-command hack cleanup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 3 16:53:04 UTC 2008

A couple of people on IRC--one using Ubuntu 8.10 and another using
Fedora 10--asked about an issue where playback paused on every press of
a remote button, and I provided a (dirty) hack that worked around the
issue until the real fix/patch was made available in packaged versions
of Myth.

The problem was that Myth was running gnome-screensaver-command on every
button press, so the workaround was to create a link called
gnome-screensaver-command that referred to /bin/true and that exists in
a PATH directory that comes before the directory containing the real
gnome-screensaver-command.

I.e. given:
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
with (the real) gnome-screensaver-command installed in
/usr/bin/gnome-screensaver-command , creating the link:
ln -s /bin/true /usr/local/bin/gnome-screensaver-command
would avoid the problem with the remote.

The proper fix has now gone into the -fixes branch, now, so anyone who
used the hack should clean it up once they get MythTV 0.21-fixes r19222
(from 2008-12-03 04:36:29 +0000) or above.  If you created a link at
/usr/local/bin/gnome-screensaver-command , as above, then clean it up with:
rm /usr/local/bin/gnome-screensaver-command

(Just feeling guilty about the ugly hack and had to say something,
hoping people would clean it up when it's no longer necessary.  And,
since it seemed to have a rather pronounced effect on the latest Fedora
and Ubuntu distros, I thought I'd mention it here.)

Mike