[mythtv-users] Hulu Integration?

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:24:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:50 PM, David Schlenk <mythtv at schdav.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:57 AM, Michael D. O'Brien <obrienmd at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > There's an old thread from March on this, but does anyone know if
>> > there's
>> > been any movement on this front?
>> >
>> > I'm itching to turn off everything but OTA, but hesitent given there's a
>> > lot
>> > of content on cable that my wife enjoys.  However, I think if Hulu was
>> > integrated into Myth with a remote-capable UI, it would offset most of
>> > the
>> > content loss from dropping cable.
>>
>> I echo this sentiment. I know its US only, but given that lots of STBs
>> are starting to shoehorn this kind of capability into their feature
>> list we wouldn't want to be left behind, would we?
>>
>> If there's enough interest I could probably contribute some time and
>> resources to the project. Anyone interested in joining me feel free to
>> contact me off list. Particularly someone with experience writing myth
>> plugins since I have none.
>
> I've looked into this.  The basic problem is the lack of ability to
> integrate a flash player that supports Hulu into MythTV itself.  You can, of
> course, launch Firefox in a variety of ways (including fullscreen) and play
> the video but you can't control it with the remote very easily.  The Webkit
> browser from QT4 that is being integrated into Myth now lacks Flash plugin
> support in the version that is currently distributed.  Once that browser
> includes Flash, I think it will be very easy to do.  The other option
> currently open would be to expand mythfrontend's ability to be a UPnP client
> and just connect it to something like PlayOn that distributes online media
> via UPnP
>
> Kevin

I agree. I even got as far as writing a light client to hulu in PHP,
but the problem is that there isn't a reliable way to use anything
other than a mouse to control the flash player. I also am not entirely
clear on whether or not you can play the higher res video whilst using
the embedable player.

My client works very nicely in a web browser at a desktop, but
terrible from my couch.