[mythtv-users] MythTV not using virtual tuners

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 03:38:16 UTC 2008

Jonny B wrote:

> ATSC works similar. For OTA, it depends very much on your
> broadcasters. Lets just say you have channels 3.1, 3.2, 6.1, 6.2
> ,10.1, 10.2 and 10.3
>
> You could record something from 3.1 on one tuner and 3.2 on the
> virtual tuner, on the same card. same with 6.1 and 6.2, and 10.1-10.3.
> You can NOT record something from 3.1 and something from 6.2 on the
> same card, because they are different streams. Make sense? For OTA,
> multirec has very little usefulness, except to avoid back to back
> recordings on the same channel (which doesn't work by default, but I
> believe there's a way to change...I need to look into this for my
> setup... but that's another topic)

It is probably more useful in the smaller markets, I can get a smaller
market set of stations and a larger market set of stations.   The
smaller market has NBC(HD)/FOX(SD) on a single stream, and
CBS(HD)/Indep(SD) on another stream, were all of them are on separate
streams in the larger market.

And if you happen to be watching PBS most of the PBS stations seem to
have between 3 and 4 different channels in a stream, sometimes chaning
the number of channels based on time of day.