[mythtv-users] Getting OT - Backend PC Powersupply...is it broken?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 4 04:02:46 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 03 December 2008 20:22:05 Steve Gonnella wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:50:05 -0500, "Tom Dexter"
>
> <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Thanks!  I'll keep that in mind.  In any case, it's apparently no
> >surprise I had an issue with the original PSU.  From what I've read,
> >the original PSUs that Dell used on the 4600s made around the time
> >that was purchased (between 2003 and 2004) apparently failed very
> >frequently.
>
> Quick and dirty troubleshooting tips:

<snip, a lot of good advice>

One more thing:

The "PSU testers" sold for under $10 at consumer stores are worthless. They do
not put any load on the PS. I have seen several units that "tested" OK and
were in fact bad.

Maybe just my bad luck, but I agree with the general sentiment here that it's
best to put the best PSU you can afford into any box you care about. That's
the first place the commercial builders skimp, and a place you can make
improvements by building your own.

If it says "600 watts" and weighs less than am ounce, walk away. Iron is not
cheap, and good cpacitors are expensive as well.
--
beww
beww at beww.org