[mythtv-users] What is a "dual core processor"?

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Thu Dec 4 15:36:37 UTC 2008

On 2008-12-04 07:44 -0500, Marc Barrett wrote:
> For the purpose of fitting the requirements for playing back files from
> a Hauppauge HD-PVR.  Today, perhaps the quintessential "dual core"
> processor is the "Core 2 Duo", and that is the one that most people with
> HD-PVR's are probably using.  But there are others,

>  As well as many processors from AMD,

Just to add to the mix. Modern ARM cpus can also be multicore. And
have hardware decoders in them. This hardware allows for very
low-power FEs. However Free drivers can be a problem for the video
hardware, and this is all quite new, so exactly how much is currently
available to end-users in useful forms I'm not sure about. It's coming
though, and I guess is already inside commercial PVR hardware.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/