[mythtv-users] Noobish network cable connection question, basement > upstairs

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 16:10:49 UTC 2008

2008/12/5 Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net>:

[Snip]

> Gigabit probably doesn't do much for Myth. I doubt there are many streams
> that 100M can't handle. It does make things like backups significantly
> faster though. I also use it for general fileserver stuff, and the RAID5
> over gigabit is faster than the 5400 RPM drive in my Mac Mini. It's worth it
> if you do a lot of network based file access. It's not uncommon for me to
> move a few gig at a time around, and it's nice to have the speed boost when
> I do. I am not using jumbo frames, not worth the bother to me as I have many
> 100M devices that wouldn't work with that setup.

How much faster do you find it? I used to get about 7M/sec or so on
100Mbit, and on gig I get about 10-12 at the most. I don't think I've
got anything badly wrong. Maybe I was just expecting a bigger speed
boost with gig.

Amen to the RAID though, concurrent reading from a RAID array is just
wonderful. I can burn a DVD and install from the same image (mounted
in demon tools) over the network with no issues. copy the same image
to the local HD and it buffer undrruns like crazy. :)

Ian