[mythtv-users] Noobish network cable connection question, basement > upstairs

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Fri Dec 5 18:53:40 UTC 2008

Graham Mitchell wrote:
> When I am copying to my 00 server over gig, I max out at about 60M/sec... I
> know the server (disks) can go faster than that, so when I get a chance over
> the holidays, I am going to run a couple more cat5 cables to the basement,
> and bond them on my desktop down to the switch for a 2G connection -
> obviously need to do the same to the server as well, but that shouldn't be
> too much of an issue.

Graham,

60 Mbyte/sec is close enough to half the bandwidth of the PCI bus for me
to ask: are you sure that the bottleneck is the Ethernet segment? If
your Ethernet port and your disk controller contend for bandwidth on the
same PCI bus then that might explain the number. Note also that in this
case the second GE won't help.

KR, Jan