[mythtv-users] Noobish network cable connection question, basement > upstairs

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Dec 5 21:24:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Dan Wilga <
mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:

> I bought a new(ish) motherboard with an nVidia Corporation MCP51
> ethernet controller. This uses the forcedeth linux driver. The
> problem is, this motherboard chipset only supports normal (MTU=1500)
> frames. The result is that I only get about 330 Mbps from this port.

I doubt that's your problem. I don't have jumbo frames enabled and my tests
show 930 Mbps using iperf and onboard gigabit. I'm reasonably sure at least
one of them is forcedeth based. Could be a hardware or driver issue though.

Not that I don't think jumbo frames is usefull, but it seems to me that it's
not everything if I can get that speed without them. I just haven't been
willing to deal with compatibility issues on old hardware that's 100M only.