[mythtv-users] How to set up remote access to mythweb?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 6 21:32:10 UTC 2008

On Saturday 06 December 2008 14:26:02 Craig Huff wrote:
> Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
> haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this.  I
> have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
> connection, so no static IP address on the net.  My Myth system is
> behind a firewall/router.  The good news is the firewall/router has
> two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
> not sure how to connect all the dots.  It can support a DynDNS setup
> and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
> incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
> the firewall.
>
> So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
> from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
> etc.?

Have your router/firewall send any port 80 traffic to the Myth box.

Make sure you have some sort of access restriction, or the googlebot will hit
every "delete this file" link and cause bad things to happen. Use a
robots.txt file to discourage the well-behaved robots (not all are
well-behaved) and use at least a .htaccess file to restrict access.

If you have a residential internet account, you will almost certainly be in
violation of your terms of service if you run a server. My ISP routinely
scans for active servers on port 80 and sends nastygrams to offenders. You
might want to consider running on a non-standard port.

--
beww
beww at beww.org