[mythtv-users] How to set up remote access to mythweb?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 6 22:19:00 UTC 2008

On Saturday 06 December 2008 14:50:33 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Saturday 06 December 2008 21:26:02 Craig Huff wrote:
>
> You just need to port forward port 80 to the IP address of your myth box.
> If your computers use DHCP to get IP addresses (probably using your
> firewall/router as a DHCP server?) then it's a good idea to set up the DHCP
> server so that it always gives your myth box the same IP address. Saves
> confusion later. :)
>
> All you then need to know is the IP address your ISP has given to your
> router. Your router ought to be able to tell you this if it has some kind
> of web-page configuration doodah. You can then access mythweb from anywhere
> by using http://<router's external IP address>/mythweb.
>
> Definitely at least set a password on mythweb, and if you understand any of
> apache's other security options use them also. And tell me what you did
> because I get the urge to kill every time I try to understand it :)
>
> So long as your router is on all the time, its IP address probably won't
> change, but this will depend on your ISP and the way they configure their
> DHCP. I've known some ISPs that routinely force changes in IP address,
> specifically to prevent people running servers without paying extra for
> fixed addresses. But you learn to live with it... took me 5 minutes to
> knock up a script to email me whenever my external IP address changes... :)

A lot of routers, like Linksys, support dynamic DNS, which I think is free for
just 1 or 2 addresses.

But you're correct, usually the IP does not change often, and it's pretty easy
to deal with any changes.

I'd worry most about the ISP getting uppity about running a server. The OP is
probably best off by NOT running on port 80 (or even 8080).

There are some PHP-based security techniques, but you'd have to play with
Mythweb to get them to work. Just watch out for the googlebot. Look for a
thread from long ago "A Visit from the Googlebot".

--
beww
beww at beww.org