[mythtv-users] problem with audio underruns on 720p only

Greg Zornetzer gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 07:19:03 UTC 2008

Hi Mike,

Well, given your explanation of the extra audio buffering vs aggressive
audio - I guess it makes sense that it doesn't work for me.

I can provide some additional information about the stream that I'm
receiving.  Perhaps, as you say, it's a problem with the video that's
encoded before sending it to me.
I am currently receiving video from Comcast Cable in Seattle, WA.  Instead
of going through the cable box, I am plugging the cable directly into a QAM
capable card (a Pinnacle 800).  I have the same feed going into the digital
tuner in my TV - that's how I know the transmitted resolution.  I get the
local ABC and FOX affiliates in 720p (with the stuttering problems).  I get
the local CBS and NBC affiliates as 1080i (no stuttering).  I checked one of
the PBS networks (channel 9.2) as 480i (has stuttering).
Does anyone in Seattle have a similar setup?

Are there any userspace tools that I can use to verify the offset?
Perhaps mythtv needs a tunable buffer size for digital stream, or certain
inputs?  Granted, I have no idea about the internals of mythTV and how this
could be implemented

Thanks,
-Greg