[mythtv-users] How to set up remote access to mythweb?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 22:56:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
> haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this.  I
> have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
> connection, so no static IP address on the net.  My Myth system is
> behind a firewall/router.  The good news is the firewall/router has
> two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
> not sure how to connect all the dots.  It can support a DynDNS setup
> and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
> incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
> the firewall.
>
> So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
> from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
> etc.?

If you have even one Windows box on the network, I'd recommend just signing
up for http://www.logmein.com (Free version) on the Windows machine on the
network.  No firewall jiggering needed and you just log onto the Windows box
on the LAN and then do what you need to using the browser there.  Secure,
fast, and really really easy.

Kevin