[mythtv-users] Mapping unknown scanned channels to Schedule Direct channels for Verizon FiOS

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Dec 10 18:15:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 12:39 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>   In the event that a channel has no xmltvid and
> has a callsign (or, if no callsign, then name) and channel number that
> matches exactly the callsign and channel number used by TMS/Schedules
> Direct, then mythfilldatabase will "automatically" fill in the xmltvid.

Since this never happens for me, I suppose it means that the call signs
stored in Schedules Direct are not matching those that come in the
digital stream? I always end up with a bunch of "unknown" channels with
numbers like 84#7 that I then have to figure out is KMGH-DT or whatever.
I end up having to do this mapping manually any time I find new digital
channels (the only reason for scanning again once my channels are
entered the first time).

> I'm guessing that you didn't really scan for your analog channels, but
> just used the "Fetch channels..." button to populate them, but just
> wanted to make sure no one was confused by the statement.

It is long enough since I have messed with the analog channels that you
could be right, I can't really remember. I do know that the analog
lineup from Schedules Direct includes channels I'm not subscribed to and
cannot get, which is the reason I might want to scan the analog channels
to see what is actually available to me. It's another tedious procedure
to delete the channels I don't get from the Schedules Direct lineup that
I would want to avoid by scanning. I wasn't actually aware that I could
mess things up by scanning analog channels; thanks for pointing that
out.

> This means that if you have analog sources /and/ digital sources and you
> want to treat the high-definition digital versions of the channel as
> equivalent to the standard-definition analog versions

..or, in my case, I have both analog cable and digital cable versions of
the same SD channel, or OTA and digital cable versions of the same HD
channel. I can then use my tuner preferences to, say, get the digital
version of an SD channel (the quality is better) but use the analog
version of the digital tuner is in use for an HD program, and use the
OTA channels only when the digital tuner is in use for something else.
The Myth scheduler seems to handle this OK; if it has something
scheduled on the digital tuner, and I add another recording that is only
available there, it will happily move the other recording to the OTA or
analog tuner.

--Greg