[mythtv-users] Nvidia 9400 motherboard GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 19:00:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Chuck Peters <cp at ccil.org> wrote:
> I am building a machine for Dad and got him a 24" widescreen LCD
> SAMSUNG 2433BW with a recommended resolution of 1920 x 1200. I read in
> some forums that many of these Nvidia 9300/9400 boards do not support
> Dual Link DVI and may not allow higher resolutions on these types on
> 24" LCD's. I wrote Gigabyte and they said:
> It supports:
> Max. Analog Resolution 2048 × 1536
> Max Digital Resolution 2560 × 1600
> dual-link DVI, and HDMI
>

> I was looking at the new Nvidia 9300/9400 boards because of the
> upcoming myth support for VDPAU.  However it is much more important
> that I get something reliable, if the past is any indication he will
> be using this machine for 5 years or more.  Do you think this
> motherboard is a good choice?
>
> So far not too many people have reviewed the board on Newegg {1] and I
> haven't seen any Linux/Ubuntu users on the avsforum thread. [2]
>
> Has anyone tried this board out with MythTV or Ubuntu yet?

I have had that board for a little over a week.  I am using it with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

So far, so good.  Even without VDPAU I can watch decent (but not max)
bit-rate H.264 material from my HD-PVR.  I am using the HDMI output,
but not the audio.  I am using a ice1712 card for the audio, just
because I always have, and I know it has excellent sound quality.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?