[mythtv-users] Mapping unknown scanned channels to Schedule Direct channels for Verizon FiOS

Darren Hart darren at dvhart.com
Wed Dec 10 19:29:07 UTC 2008

Thanks Matt and Greg for the great information in the previous posts.
With Verizon FiOS Local I am having to map every channel manually :(
I've got the major networks, but many of the locals don't advertise
just who exactly they are very often *grumble*.  Even my PBS stations
(there are 4) are hard to determine which is which since they all just
say OPB in the channel insignia... bother.

Another thing to note, if you are trying this at 3 in the morning, be
sure to scroll WAY over to the next day (after midnight) to check if
the data is coming in :-)  I thought the xmltvid's weren't working,
turns out it just started getting data for much farther into the
future than I expected!

Thanks again... I've just resurrected Myth after a short stint using
the FiOS DVR (ugh!) and am loving HD MythTV with my HDHomeRun (and the
streams playback perfectly on my PS3 with firmware 2.53.  Nice!

--
Darren

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 12/10/2008 01:15 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 12:39 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>>   In the event that a channel has no xmltvid and
>>> has a callsign (or, if no callsign, then name) and channel number that
>>> matches exactly the callsign and channel number used by TMS/Schedules
>>> Direct, then mythfilldatabase will "automatically" fill in the xmltvid.
>>>
>> Since this never happens for me, I suppose it means that the call signs
>> stored in Schedules Direct are not matching those that come in the
>> digital stream? I always end up with a bunch of "unknown" channels with
>> numbers like 84#7 that I then have to figure out is KMGH-DT or whatever.
>> I end up having to do this mapping manually any time I find new digital
>> channels (the only reason for scanning again once my channels are
>> entered the first time).
>
> Generally, the callsigns and channel names in OTA broadcast streams are
> ugly.  On US cable streams, though, they're often non-existent, so you
> end up with the "Unknown" channels.  And the "#" in the channel number
> indicates it's a channel that didn't include identifying information--so
> it's an indicator that you should fix that channel in the channel editor
> and change the channel number to something prettier, like "84_7" or "84.7".
>
> Mike

Darren Hart