[mythtv-users] Questions regarding a Dell XPS One

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 16:51:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Stackpole, Chris wrote:

> A friend has been toying around with MythTV for a few months now and has
> decided that he wants to keep MythTV and build it out for the rest of
> the family. He is thinking about buying a Dell XPS One 24 [1] for a
> combined frontend/backend. I must admit it sounds good in theory with a
> large screen, 750GB hard drive, quad core, 4GB memory, bluray, and ect
> but when I did a Google search for this system and Linux all I get is a
> bunch of hype. I wasn't able to find a good review that mentioned
> anything about Linux much less so about MythTV.

The tech specs say it has on-board Intel video, so we can probably be pretty
sure the PC itself will work with Linux just fine.

On the downside, it tells us precious little about the included Hybrid tuner
(but don't expect to be able to use both parts simultaneously). I imagine
there are no PCI or PCI Express internal expansion slots, so any further
tuners will have to be connected via USB 2.0 or IEEE 1394a.

There aren't too many all-in-one systems out there, but Sony have made some
good-looking machines that might even tempt me to look into their specs,
Sony notwithstanding. :-)

> Thanks!
> ~S~

HTH,