[mythtv-users] Occasional missed recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Dec 12 05:06:45 UTC 2008

On 12/11/2008 10:15 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
>> I know that in the past there have been several here including me that
>> have discussed occasionally missing recordings...where the backend
>> logs look as though everything's fine but the file simply isn't there,
>> and the watch recordings screen shows it as 0 GB.
>>
>> I have this once in a great while but tonight it happened on both The
>> Office and 30 Rock on NBC (OTA DTV).  In both cases the log looked
>> like this:
>>
>> 2008-12-11 21:00:02.982 Started recording: The Office "Moroccan
>> Christmas": channel 1041 on cardid 2, sourceid 1
>> 2008-12-11 21:00:03.544 TVRec(1): Changing from None to RecordingOnly
>> 2008-12-11 21:00:03.552 TVRec(1): HW Tuner: 1->1
> Wow...the same thing happened on ER at 10PM.
>
> 5 minutes into it there was still no file.  Again, after deleting the
> (non-exiting) recording I was able to record it fine by going into
> LiveTV, tuning it in, and hitting record.  Actually all three of these
> were on card 2 of my three HD-5500s.  After these shows record I'll
> make sure that cards actually working ok, though I think it is.

I've seen this happen where the problem was the broadcast stream.  I got
an episode of Terminator: TSCC, but Prison Break (which airs right after
T:TSCC on Fox) didn't record and gave a 0-byte file.  When I watched
T:TSCC, the station was flipping between their digital feed and their
analog feed, the captions were completely broken (in both the digital
and the analog-converted-to-digital-and-upscaled portions), and at
several places, the video completely disappeared (though audio remained).

I would have first suspected my setup except for the issues in the
stream and the fact that a friend who also records OTA saw the exact
same thing happen.

Watch the portions you did record and see if their garbage.  If so,
garbage in = garbage results.

(No, I'm not saying that if someone properly fixes Myth to identify that
there has been an issue with starting the recording/receiving data that
I would be against it, but just trying to give a possible reason for the
failure.  And, since properly fixing Myth to identify... is a /lot/ of
work, I don't expect anything is going to happen to change it in the
near future.)

Mike