[mythtv-users] Playback hangs system

Leonard Bottleman leonard at whiteweasel.net
Sun Dec 14 07:05:32 UTC 2008

Hello experts,

I posted about this issue a week or so ago and got no responses, and
while I've done a bit more research and tried a few other options, I'm
pretty much at a loss on how to proceed with the problems I have on my
mythtv system.

Basically when either playing back a recording or watching tv live,
the system will hang, and hang tight such that nothing is responsive
(nothing from keyboard or mouse input, and the system no longer responds
to pings). It takes a hardware reset to clear the problem.

No log files contain any errors up to the hang.

The system hardware is the following:

The motherboard is an MSI P6NGM with the integrated Nvidia GeForce 7150/630
and an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz. The system has 2 GB of memory, a 80 GB
drive for the OS, and a 1 TB drive for recording. The capture card is a
Hauppauge HVR-1800, and the display is an LG 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV-37LG60.

You can find complete output from the hw-info command here:

   http://www.whiteweasel.net/leonard/info.txt

I've tried the 173, 177 and even the 180 beta nvidia drivers, but the
behavior is the same for all. I've also tried different playback options,
with and without xvmc, and nothing I've changed has made a difference.

Any ideas at all on what to try, or look at?

My wife now refuses to touch the system and has stated it's worse than
having no TV at all, and without some sort of resolution, the plug is
going to be pulled on the MythTV experiment, and we'll go back to the
dark ages of live TV only.

Thanks in advance,

Leonard Bottleman