[mythtv-users] FaceBook Status Updates in MythTV

Johan Venter mythtv at vulturest.com
Mon Dec 15 01:32:51 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> xosd worked out quite well! I posted a working version of the script
> here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FacebookOSD.pl
>
> Anyone is free to use it, but let me know if you have an issue or
> suggestions to make it better.
> This might also be a good start to getting a twitter one running or
> any service that offers frequent short RSS updates.

Nice, I might use this myself. One thing did pop out at me though, if
your logfile cannot be opened, your fallback of setting $lastRun to
localtime() will be overridden and the error will still be thrown:

open(LOGFILE, ".facebookosd_lastrun") or $lastRun = localtime();
$lastRun = <LOGFILE>;

You're also not closing LOGFILE anywhere, but that's not a big deal in a
Perl script, although seeing as you make a point of closing LASTRUN at
the end, you might want to be consistent :)

Also it might be better to use ~/.facebookosd_lastrun so it doesn't just
end up in whatever the current directory is.

Cheers,
Johan