[mythtv-users] High timestretch speeds with VDPAU

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 02:05:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 6:21 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 04:20:26PM -0700, John P Poet wrote:
>> I am slightly over-clocking the E8600, but I doubt it makes any
>> difference for VDPAU.
>
> With an E8600, you could probably do full 2x timestretch when/if
> ffmpeg gets generalized, multi-threaded decoding.

Yes.  I am actually hoping that once VDPAU works well, I will be able
to under-clock that chip.

Without VDPAU, it would be nice if the deinterlacing could be done in
it's own thread.  That would probably help a lot, too.

>> With all that and VDPAU enabled, max timestretch I could get up to
>> with it still watchable was 1.75x.  It is not so much that it started
>> to stutter, but the visual artifacts got too annoying beyond that.
>
> That's for 1080i, right?  If so, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear
> that.  I could probably live with a max around 1.75x since 1.65x is
> about as high as I usually go when I really want to pay attention.

Yes.  I think the visual artifacts have to do with the deinterlacing.
It looks like Mark is actively working on that area, so it should get
better.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.