[mythtv-users] dvd plays in xine but not mplayer or MythTv internal

Jay Hutfles jayhutfles at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:43:22 UTC 2008

Hey everyone,

I bought The Dark Knight, and found that it wouldn't play on my MythBuntu
box.  It would play the trailers and everything up to the root menu, but
instead of going to the root menu it loops the last trailer.  So I tried in
mplayer, same thing.  But when I tried playing it with xine, it worked just
fine.  I also tried importing the dvd and watching from the hard disk, but
the mtd daemon started running, hitting about 95% of the cpu utilization and
never finished.  Nothing else responded.  I'm sure the last part is some
disc protection they put on, and that's cool.  I can watch it so I don't
feel like I wasted my money, but I do have a question.  Why would xine play
it differently than mplayer or the mythtv internal player?  Do they use
different libraries for reading the dvd?

Thanks for enlightening me.  Hope this isn't the wrong place to ask this.
Jay