[mythtv-users] Database update schema error with trunk utf8

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Wed Dec 17 14:03:17 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 17 December 2008 06:02:09 Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/16/2008 11:45 PM, freedenizen wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >> OK, I don't know what -latin1 use flag means, but it seems that a
> >> mysql server compiled with it still has support for latin1 charset.
> >>
> >> So, I'm back to having no idea why the conversion failed for on your
> >> system.
> >
> > Well it looks like you are right about what the use flag should do:
> > http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
> > "latin1 	Use LATIN1 encoding instead of UTF8"
> >
> > Maybe (hopefully) my system is just some weird fluke, but let me know
> > if there is anything else you want me to check.
>
> I'm guessing, then, that it just sets the default character set.

Yes, but not only for the server but also for the client connections. Since
the Qt3 mysql driver doesn't set a connection charset, UTF-8 will be used.

> The default character set for the server shouldn't have any effect on Myth
> as the proper charset for the mythconverg database will be specified by
> mc.sql when the database is created

Unfortunately not. MythTV sents UTF-8 encoded data over a UTF-8 connection
but the database charset is latin-1. The server converts now the UTF-8
encoded data to latin-1 and stores it in the table.

So the database should hold plain latin-1 strings instead of utf-8 in
latin-1 and the conversion will fail.

Janne