[mythtv-users] Transcode Question

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:05:52 UTC 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 6:43 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2008, at 12:50 AM, Jon Bishop wrote:
>
>> For all my HD recordings, I have an auto-transcode setting that
>> transcodes to xvid  at 720xAuto resolution. In the past, this
>> sometimes (not often) results in an unwatchable transcode (audio
>> badly
>> out of sync issues mostly). Sometimes I can simply transcode again
>> and
>> it fixes itself, but other times, that just makes it worse. I know
>> you
>> can set myth to keep originals when transcoding. I wondered if there
>> was an option to keep the old copies until such a time as the user
>> watches the transcode, and verifies that it is good, and then allows
>> the copy to be removed. Anyone know? Or would this be a feature
>> request?
>
> There is nothing like this right now. Workarounds are generally not
> implemented as features. Time is better spent fixing the actual
> problem - like figuring out why your videos aren't being transcoded
> correctly. This is obviously not correct behavior and other people are
> transcoding just fine.

Well, I think it was the hard drive I was recording to. Some of the
sectors would take unusually long to read, and it would cause shows to
freeze momentarily from time to time. I think the transcoder didn't
handle this well. I have since replaced that drive, but was wondering
if there was a way to keep the recordings around until I verified the
new transcodes, as this could also be helpful for adjusting transcoder
profiles... but I suppose the simple answer is to just tell myth to
keep the recordings and once I've verified I like the transcodes,
manually delete the originals. Then I could verify that the problem
has gone away. I also suspect it may have been due to poor signals in
certain weather where I used to live... I'm about 50 miles closer to
the transmission towers now, so I have a much better signal.

Well, thanks, that was all I wanted to know - if I had overlooked a
setting somewhere that allowed me to keep the recordings until watched
or something.

~Jon