[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 15:47:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 12/17/2008 09:00 AM, Alex Butcher wrote:
>
>>  I've never had a problem, but Seagate's NCQ/cache flush issues with
>>  recent models - notably their 1.5TB drives - makes this worth keeping
>>  an eye on. Note, however, that Seagate's current issue is a firmware
>>  problem, and applies (to a lesser extent) to some of their smaller
>>  drives too.
>>  Until the beginning of January:
>>
>>  - Seagate for the warranty, and hope they fix their NCQ/cache flush
>>  issue
>

> Seagate has a new firmware that fixes the affected drives (
> http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15863 ).  I've applied it to the two
> affected drives of my three 1.5TB HDD's.

Cool; The last I saw was a patchset for the Linux kernel this week that said
that the bug existed on firmware revisions SD15 through to SD19 inclusive.
The upstream kernel now includes a blacklist of such model/firmware
combinations and disables NCQ on such examples when they're detected. That
does, however, appear to be at odds with that pages, which indicates that
SD18 was the last firmware revision to be affected.

> Note that you can only (legitimately) get the firmware update by calling
> Seagate.  You can not get it through the online chat help.  (And, though
> I've heard it can be found online in dark corners of the Internet, do
> you really want to trust the /firmware/ of a harddrive to whatever some
> person uploads.)

Not especially. Bricked hardware not considered fun, especially when there's
a perfectly legitimate service option available.

> Mike

Best Regards,
Alex.