[mythtv-users] Commercial Skip - Video freezes & Audio Fast Forwards

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 17 21:51:58 UTC 2008

On 12/17/2008 02:27 PM, Stackpole, Chris wrote:
> From: Greg Hermsen
>> I've had mixed results with commercial skip.  The promise is shows is big enough that I haven't given up on it yet. Commercial skipping will work well for a day or two, then at some point where MythTV should skip a commercial, the video freezes and the audio goes into a high-speed,
>> unintelligible mode.  I'm not able to stop it.  After anywhere from 10 - 20 minutes MythTV returns to the listing of recorded shows.  I assume that when the audio reaches the ended of the recorded program is when MythTV unfreezes from commerial skip
>>
>> Has anybody else seen this?  Is there something I can do to fix this?
> I had this issue sometime ago with Myth .20 something and Knoppmyth. I
> checked the log files and found an error (don't remember which one right
> now)

I'll fill in the blank for you:

Error was: Driver error was [2/145]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Table './mythconverg/recordedseek' is marked as crashed and should be
repaired

>  and after a google search I found a lot of people had that error
> and that it had been fixed. I switched over to Mythbuntu and MythTV .21
> the problem went away.

Probably because MythBuntu packagers have set up MythBuntu systems to
automatically run optimize_mythdb.pl.

So, OP, you should run optimize_mythdb.pl (while mythbackend is running)
to fix the crashed table (and, really, it doesn't hurt to run it in a
cron job at least once per month--though once per day works great at
fixing crashed tables before you notice them).  You can find
optimize_mythdb.pl in the contrib directory of the source distribution,
but most packagers include it in the install somewhere (use locate or
ask someone who's using your distro for more specific info).

Once you repair the database with optimize_mythdb.pl, you may still see
some recordings with the same problem.  For them, you have 2 choices:
1) delete the recording (and re-record it if desired) or 2)
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Repairing_the_Seektable .
Basically, the seektables of /any/ recordings you made while the table
was crashed will be corrupt/need repairing.  The seektables of /some/
recordings that were made before the table crashed /could/ be
corrupt/need repairing.  You'll have to run mythtranscode --buildindex
(for MPEG-2 recordings) or mythcommflag --rebuild (for NUV recordings,
including software-encoded recordings from frame grabbers or
lossy-transcoded recordings) on each affected recording individually.

Mike