[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Dec 18 02:58:31 UTC 2008

Sandy Walsh wrote:
> 4. What about RAID? Good or Bad? Good for peace of mind, Bad for
> performance? Recommendations for/against using RAID? What about software
> raid (useless?)

Unless you really need high availability, I would go with Storage Groups
instead of RAID.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: RAID is about increasing
uptime, not protecting data.  It *will* protect your data in *some*
situations -- hardware failures, specifically -- but it's not a
substitute for backups.  If you have a corrupt filesystem on a RAID
array, or lose more than one drive on RAID 5, you'll lose everything.
If it happens on a storage group setup, you'll only lose what was on the
affected drive(s).