[mythtv-users] Low Power Frontends (in anticipation of nvidia's new API)

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Thu Dec 18 17:00:23 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2008, at 8:35 AM, jedi wrote:
>>    If you are worried about the db, throw memory at it. The Myth DB is
>> small enough that you can run the whole thing from memory and not
>> worry
>> about the speed of the CPU. What hammers the database are keyword
>> search
>> based recording rules.

You mean 'don't worry about the speed of the disk' rather than the CPU,
right?

Anyway:

> ...and running mythfilldatabase, and writing the seektable when you
> are recording 6 programs at the same time, and running --resched when
> you have 8 tuners and probably other things that I haven't thought of
> yet.

Do you know whether running mythfilldatabase with a high nice value
alleviates at least that side of the problem? In other words: if the
application that invokes the database has low priority, do the database
threads somehow also get executed with low priority?

Thx, Jan