[mythtv-users] broken mpeg4 recordings with SD bt878/bttv tuners

Russ Dill russ.dill at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 20:18:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 08:48:11AM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>> >    bttv? Isn't that a dinosaur? Why not use something like a PVR150?
>>
>> I think the analog part of the pcHDTV-5500 card uses bt878. This is a
>> current card.
>
>   The bt878 is an ancient part. It is by no stretch of the imagination
> "current". If that is infact the part in question then it is a dinosaur that
> is sapping more resources by being put into use than would be wasted by it's
> replacment.

I do plan on purchasing a pcHDTV-5500, but that only gets me about 8
channels in digital. I'll still have my two Booktree Bt878's for
capturing all the channels I can only get in analog. Plus, something
being ancient is no reason not to fix something. Having no one who
cares enough to spend the time is the only good reason not to fix bugs
:)

Maybe one day getting 100% of the digital channels I pay for will be
as easy as playing a DVD under Linux, but until I start hearing about
deDTCP or whatever it will be, I'll need my analog stuff.