[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Crackling popping w/mplayer playing MKV files but not Xine/VLC

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Thu Dec 18 21:46:21 UTC 2008

I am trying to play back some .mkv files using mplayer but am experiencing
some crackling/popping at random points (not much, but does happen), but it
does not happen with Xine or VLC.

The command I use for .mkv's is:

"mplayer -ao alsa:device=plug=dmix6 -channels 6 -vf screenshot -delay -0.1
-subfont-text-scale 3 -fs"

(dmix6 is the output in my asound.conf set up for 5.1 playback.) There are
no errors or anything in the output when I run it from shell, the output is
as normal. And the files are using a52.

The crackling/popping does not occur at all in Xine or VLC.

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Bob