[mythtv-users] Dec 2008 - State of the Art - Hard Drive Recommendations?

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Fri Dec 19 08:19:07 UTC 2008

>> I have recently received drives with PN 9JU138-301 and
>> Firmware CC1G that definitely do not have the problem.
>
>> I have now got 14 of these drives (1x SD17 updated to
>> SD1A, 13x CC1G). Issues so far:
>>       - Firmware problem with the SD17 Drive
>>       - one reallocated sector reported by smart on one
>>         of the CC1G drives
>> No further problems, no klicking, no failures.
>
> Well, those are good statistics.  Bought from whom?  How long ago
> and/or how long have you had them in service?  Do they seem to be
> running really hot and/or what temps is smart reporting?

The disks in my myth box at home run at ~ 40°C:

pvr-martin ~ # for i in /dev/sd?; do smartctl -a $i | grep 194; done
194 Temperature_Celsius  38
194 Temperature_Celsius  37
194 Temperature_Celsius  38
194 Temperature_Celsius  40
194 Temperature_Celsius  41

There's no significant differentce to the Seagate 750GB Disks I'd ben using previously; all disks have (slow) drive fans making sure there's adequate airflow. The disks at work sit in a HP Proliant Box and run at < 30°C in a cooled server room.

Bye, Martin