[mythtv-users] 30 minute freezups

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Fri Dec 19 18:13:50 UTC 2008

Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> I realize electricity is relatively cheap here in Iowa, but I'd
> encourage you to do the math and  figure out if you're really saving
> an appreciable amount of energy/money.  You're likely to do a lot
> better trying to get your CPU to clock down when it's idle.  This is
> especially true if you're using a processor like a Prescott Pentium 4.

Carl,

While your approach is sensible and rational, I think that the price of
electricity does not reflect the true cost, mostly because much of it is
based on "commodities" that we cannot replace, such as coal, oil and
uranium. Only the cost of recovering those commodities and turning them
into electricity is reflected in the price we pay. We have an obligation
to use as little power as possible.

On top of the above argument (which I'm not trying to convince you of),
I prefer to spin unused drives down for reasons of reduced heat
production and security (I also unmount them).

KR, Jan