[mythtv-users] Trunk or built

Paulin paulin at spextreme.com
Fri Dec 19 20:13:37 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Paulin <paulin at spextreme.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm looking to get the latest trunk version of Myth (Mainly for the VDPAU
>> support).  I'm wondering if anyone already has it compiled and available as
>> a .deb package or available in an apt-get repository.  If so that would be
>> appriciated since I'm not sure how to build it (haven't looked yet).
>

> Okay, I want to address some things that have been brewing for a while, and
> I hope that you don't feel like I am jumping down your throat, it's just an
> opportunity to try to get some information out there.
>
> Trunk isn't the released version + new features.  It is a *highly unstable*
> development snapshot that can and often is broken in multiple horrible ways
> that may end in your cattle dying, crops withering, and your teenage
> daughter having morning sickness.  Humor aside, and there is no shame in
> your situation, if you do not know how to build trunk, you really *should
> not* be running it.  While trunk has VDPAU video output, it is *not* a
> supported feature and in general bug reports about it are being closed as
> invalid.  The support burden on the users list has gradually grown since the
> release of the HD-PVR (and moreso since VDPAU video out has been added) with
> people asking how to build trunk, about issues pertaining to trunk, and in
> general complaining about things that are obvious to anyone doing their
> "homework" when it comes to running trunk.
>
> So, you might ask, who should be running trunk?
>
> Myth developers, people interested in writing patches/adding functionality,
> and people who are none of the above but who *can* both write fixes to
> address issues they find and require *no additional support*.  People are
> constantly asking when .22 will be out, and that date is only extended by
> the added burden of answering questions for people who need support for
> trunk.  People using trunk *must* follow the -dev and -commits lists closely
> (even religiously) to understand the current state of things.  They must be
> able to build (and troubleshoot build issues) without help.  They must be
> capable of and willing to track down *why* things don't work (and not simply
> report that they don't) and submit fixes where possible.  It's really gotten
> to be a problem that people who don't meet these requirements are running
> trunk.  Because of massive DB changes, switching to trunk is a one-way trip.
>
> I am well aware that I'm throwing myself into the fire with this message,
> and that I'm likely to get a variety of irritated responses.  But I also
> know that I am not alone when it comes to feeling this way.  We all want to
> see .22 come sooner than later, and each support request and clueless bug
> report (for a known issue or issue that is not actually an issue were
> someone to follow the lists) extends that date further into the future.
>

>> Secondary question is, where can I get the source (Where is the
> [...]

Robert and the Myth Community

I understand your response (and I don't fell like your jumping down my
throat) and I can understand your frustration.

However I think it comes with the territory and sometimes you need to point
people in the right direction to get them started.  And who knows because
you may find the next big developer to help out.

Personally, I've been doing software development for a long time.  However
I've been out of C/C++ for a least 5 years and now strictly develop using
Java.   Building in Unix based environments I'm way out of practice and need
to get back into it.

For me I'd like to begin running trunk to start working with the VDPAU to
solve some of my HD problems.  However I'd also like to being playing with
the code and who knows maybe I'll even figure out some new things or fix
issues.

My main request is just so I can get started playing and learning.

Thanks for the svn pointer.  Got the code.  Now I just have to figure out
building it.

One a related side note:  What are people using for development of Myth
(IDE, Emacs).  If an IDE which one.

Thanks
steve