[mythtv-users] To "Live TV" or not to "Live TV" within myth...

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sun Dec 21 01:34:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Correct. Believe or not there are a lot of Myth users who live outside
> North
> > America.
>
> Really?  Who'd a thunk that??!?! </sarcasm>
>
> > But that's beside the point. It is not difficult to handle overruns with
> > scheduled recordings (in fact I seem to remember some talk of a script to
> > automatically handle sports overruns). You may prefer to use Live TV for
> > sports, that's fine. But you're not going to convince people who don't
> use
> > Live TV that your way is the best way, including the devs.
> >

> If it's beside the point, why mention it?  I'm not trying to "convince
> people who don't use Live TV that [my] way is the best way"; on the
> contrary, I'm trying to keep people from knocking LiveTV (and the
> people who are using it or trying to use it) nearly every time
> somebody asks a question about it.

I think the REAL point is that mythtv is a hobbyist program.  LiveTV does
not get much attention because (from comments made) the primary developers
do not use it much/at all.  That means that not much time will be spent on
enhancing it.  To MOST people (myself included) the big changes to make
LiveTV the "same" as recorded tv was a huge step forward.

I'm sure that if someone came forward with a bunch of patches that fixed
livetv to be more robust then they would be welcomed (see the "browse"
patches that recently went into trunk).