[mythtv-users] Hardware advice for new combined frontend/backend

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 03:00:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, a little background information:
>
> I'm building a new media room in my basement, and I'll be adding my first
> HDTV to my setup which means I'll need another frontend.  My current setup
> consists of an old P4 Dell that hosts my 3 tuner cards (Hauppauge PVR-250
> and 2x PVR-500)  and recordings drive, and I have an 2 500gb drives in an
> LVM arrangement on my desktop machine that host my video collection (mainly
> ripped DVDs) which I share via NFS with my various frontends.  My video
> storage is filling up fast, and I'd like to remove it from my main desktop
> machine (since I'm prone to tinkering on that machine, and that leads to
> reboots...which is a pain with all my frontends and NFS).  Since my video
> collection is growing larger, and I since I see little chance of the growth
> rate slowing) I'm starting to become concerned with the risk of a drive
> failure wiping out my entire collection (the time I've spent ripping my dvds
> is extensive, and something I'd rather not repeat).
>
> Since I need a new frontend, and since I can't currently do all I want my
> current backend to do with a single machine, my proposal is to build a new
> combined frontend/backend for my new HDTV, and to retire my old Dell
> backend.  For the time being, I intend to move my 3 tuners to the new
> backend/frontend machine (which are analog, but I have no intention of
> stepping into the HD tuning world yet, at least not HD cable, I may tinker
> with OTA...), add two more 500gb drives for my video collection, that I will
> work into a raid 5 array.  I'll also be adding a 500gb drive just for
> recordings.  I'll install the OS, database, etc., on an 80gb drive.  The
> network will be hard-wired via gigibit ethernet.  I'll be using a Phenom 4X
> cpu, 4gb of 1066mhz ram, and the motherboard has onboard nvidia 8-series
> graphics.
>
> It seems like a 4 core cpu with 4gb of ram should be able to handle the
> various tasks involved; displaying HD video content (on occasion),
> commercial flagging, occasional DVD rips, and the overhead involved with the
> RAID array.  I run .21, and tend to stick with the major releases, so I
> won't have VDPAU support until it .22, so displaying HD content will likely
> work the machine a bit in the near future.  My main goal is that it perform
> any/all of these tasks at any given time.  I'd like to be able to set it up
> so that video playback has high enough priority that anything less noticable
> to a human will be done when it gets done (if the CPU is maxed, then a DVD
> rip may take longer, or commercial flagging would have to go a bit slower,
> etc.).
>
> I will be wiring the room for 5.1 surround-sound speakers through the walls,
> and I will be using the on-board sound, assuming it will be powerful
> enough.  If need be, I will add some kind of amplifier (this will be quite
> configurable for me, as I will be integrating a network and sound/video
> [...]

Are you sure you want to go with onboard ATI video? Also, it looks
like your MB is has 2 PCI-E slots which you'll never need. I would
knock the MB down a bit and spend the money on a processor or storage.

Also, from browsing the list most people indicate that for now you'd
probably be better with a faster dual-core CPU than a slower
Quad-core. So again, I would spend a little less on the MB and more on
the CPU. I have the following in my desktop system and really like it
for the price. It's well rated, has a dual BIOS in case a flash goes
wrong and has all solid capacitors. In addition it has optical and
coax digital audio out, MB headers for audio out over HDMI while the
board you chose does not have digital audio out as far as I can tell.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128081

Get a nvidia 9000 series fanless for VDPAU support later.

Just my $0.02

Richard