[mythtv-users] trying to add a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1250

Marland V. Pittman marland at mvpittman.com
Mon Dec 22 10:12:41 UTC 2008

Mike Millner wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Andrew Barbaccia
> <andrew at monolithmc.com <mailto:andrew at monolithmc.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:09 AM, James Crow <james at ultratans.com
>     <mailto:james at ultratans.com>> wrote:
>
>         On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 07:58 -0700, Mike Millner wrote:
>         >
>         >
>         > Hello,
>         >
>         > I bought a 2nd tuner card...Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1250 to try
>         and get the
>         > over the air HD channels. As you can see from the output
>         below it
>         > seems that the computer sees both the new and old card. I've
>         tried
>         > some different things I found from searching but I can't get
>         mplayer
>         > or vlc to play it much less mythtv. I included a bunch of
>         output below
>         > hoping to give someone enough info to point me in the right
>         direction.
>         > My PVR-150 works great as /dev/video0. I expected to see a
>         /dev/videoX
>         > for the new card. I actually have a /dev/video24  and
>         > a /dev/video/32..they don't seem to be related to the new
>         card..not
>         > sure what they are.
>         >
>         > Some of the instructions I found talked about a
>         /dev/dvb/adapter0
>         > which I have and I figured this is the new card
>         > but nothing will play through  it
>         >
>         > I don't really know what I'm doing...just trying some things
>         to try to
>         > make this work. I think I'm close
>         >
>         >
>         > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>         >
>         >
>         > Thanks,
>         > Mike
>         >
>         >
>         > Please see the output here. The mail was too long to be posted.
>         >
>         > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014551
>         >

>         Mike,
>
>          US OTA broadcast cards are DVB cards to Linux. You can use
>         the 'scan'
>         program from the dvb-utils package to see what channels your
>         card is
>         seeing. I don't know about the particular card you have, but
>         if it has
>         an analog side (for NTSC or cable) then it may get its own
>         /dev/videoX.
>         The OTA digital side should be under /dev/dvb/dapaterX.
>
>         Cheers,
>         James

>     Mike,
>
>     This card currently only has the DVB side working, so no
>     /dev/videoX device is created (yet). The dvb side will show up as
> [...]
I have two of these cards. They work great, but it took me a long time
to figure out how they work in MythTV.

I use Schedules direct, and I didn't know that I needed to add a lineup.
That could be one issue, but if you got it working with an different
tuner, you might need to add that Local Broadcast source.

The other issue was that I had to set a beginning channel, after I did
the scan. mythtv-setup warned me about not having it set, and I don't
know if that would be an issue since you are adding to an existing setup.

I wouldn't expect snow at all from a digital OTA signal, it's on or off,
so if you're not getting a lock (mythtv will tell you) and if it is
weak, the picture just goes blocky, no snow... maybe you're tuning
analog... I don't know how to force one tuner vs. another, but my setup
is two OTA tuners only, so maybe you're tuning an analog station, rather
than a digital one.

I'm still a MythTV noob, but hopefully, that helps, or springs to mind a
solution from someone more knowledgeable.