[mythtv-users] Fast or Slow deletes ???

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 04:26:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Matt Nelson <matt at frozenatom.com> wrote:
>> Have you ever looked into using XFS?  I used to use EXT3 for my recordings
>> and the deletes where horrible with HD recordings.  Now with XFS it is much
>> nicer.
>>
> I made the switch for most of my storage groups.
>
> XFS deletes a 4GB file in less than 1 second with no locking problem.

All my recordings drives use XFS. I've never had any problems with
deletes, though I do still have slow delete enabled for the rare
occasions that I turn on the slave backend (which has an EXT3 local
storage group before it starts aiming at the NFS drives which are all
XFS).

As for the comment about scheduled times - I only allow mythfills to
run between 7 and 11 am. This is when I am least likely to be watching
TV, (work nights, sleep 6am-2pm and my girlfriend is at work until
6pm) and also not a primetime slot for recording anything.

~Jon