[mythtv-users] Input Group Help

Ray Parrish rparrish at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 17:32:22 UTC 2008

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

My current FE/BE setup has three tuner cards set up so:

1 - Firewire (Motorola DCT-6200)
2 - ATI HDTV Wonder (using DVB drivers)
3 - Hauppauge PVR-150

Since not all channels are available through Firewire, I have the
S-Video and analog audio output from the DCT-6200 fed to the S-Video
input on the PVR-150. I also have the analog tuner on the PVR-150
defined as an input connection.

I want to be able to configure input groups so that MythTV properly
recognizes when there is and is not a real scheduling conflict by
these conditions:

1. Firewire recording + Analog recording = no conflict
2. Firewire + S-Video = conflict
3. S-Video + Analog = conflict.

I have searched the archives for information regarding Input groups
and tried assigning these input connections to these groups:

1. Firewire: Primary - STB, Secondary - Generic
2. PVR-150 Tuner: Primary - Generic, Secondary - Generic
3. PVR-150 S-Video Input: Primary - STB, Secondary - Generic

I have also tried assigning the S-Video input to the STB group before
adding the Firewire input to the STB group. In either case, I am
presented with the same problem. The scheduler has no problems with
conflict conditions 2 and 3 above. The scheduler also shows me that I
can record a show from Firewire and Analog at the same time. In
practice, I have not been able to do so. The logs show the analog show
starting to record just before the firewire show. The analog recording
starts just fine, but the firewire recording fails. According to the
logs, the backend was unable to set the channel on the firewire input.

Currently I have all three inputs in the Generic input group. I do not
have the firewire + analog problem with this configuration, but I am
very aware of the risk of someone either scheduling a recording or
hitting LiveTV in the middle of an S-Video recording and ruining it.

A few additional notes regarding the last point: Firewire is the first
tuner because it has the most channels available to it, to keep WAF
high. The HDTV Wonder and the PVR-150 tuner have higher priorites so
that scheduled recordings go there rather than on the Firewire input
when possible.

If there isn't a great solution readily available, then I will simply
start planning to pick up an HD-PVR when support is added to the
latest stable-fixes release and solve the problem entirely.

Setup:

Mythbuntu 8.04

MythTV Version   : 18704
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
 linux profile using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack
using_backend using_dbox2 using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_opengl_vsync using_opengl_video
using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw
using_xvmc_vld using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads
using_libavc_5_3 using_live