[mythtv-users] chipmunk sound and jerky video

Gordon McLellan gordonthree at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 21:11:06 UTC 2008

I was watching the Dark Night dvd last night, and the first hour or so
was fine, but as the movie progresses, the sounds' pitch kept
climbing.  By the end of the movie, you could barely understand the
voices.   The video appeared to be "sped up" too.

I tried rebooting, no help.  I could not get xine or mplayer to play
this dvd, I think due to copy protections - they wouldn't even spin up
the disc.

So I tried playing some recordings, and the same thing happens, even
old recordings that were fine a few days ago.  Watching live tv
results in very jerky video, it plays fast for a few seconds, and then
pauses, and then jerks forward again.  The voices are all "chipmunk"
in nature.

I haven't made any changes to the system, or to the software.  I'm
using mythdora 5 for a distribution.

Googling this problem points to nvidia drivers and opengl problems.
AFAIK i'm not using opengl, and how would it turn itself on anyway?
Others blame sound hardware, but again, no changes.  The system is an
old Athlon 64 3400 with 3g of ram and a 500g sata drive.

Perhaps my cpu or mobo has gone bad, and is no longer keeping time accurately?

Any other suggestions?  I did notice a LOT of messages from ntpd about
syncronizing the clock, it would sync like 10 times in just as many
minutes, and then nothing for a few hours.

Thanks!

Gordon