[mythtv-users] HDHR in harsh enviroments (was:OT: OTA HD )

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 26 17:05:51 UTC 2008

On Friday 26 December 2008 09:59:12 James Van Vleet wrote:
> On Thursday 25 December 2008 11:48:14 Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > If you have power and ethernet in the attic you can place a network
> > based ATSC device such as a HDHomeRun next to the antenna. Even if
> > you just have power there you can set up power-line networking to
> > reach the device.
>
> Has anyone done this?   I was wondering if an HDHR could stand up to the
> kind of temperature swings that can happen in an attic.  I was
> contemplating something like this in the spring.  A few of us have
> posted to the HDHR forum and finally were told only that it was
> guaranteed to work in 0-40C (32-104F).
>
> I have only had my HDHR for a month or so but it has stood up to -15
> degrees in the garage...
>

> -James (in balmy North Dakota)

Generally heat is more of a problem than cold, except extreme cold can
sometimes cause things to crack, solder joints to fail etc.

It's usually temperature *changes* that cause problems due to differential
heat expansion/contraction. Any steady temp is better than a constantly
changing one. While attics can have wide swings, the changes are not usually
all that fast.

--
beww
beww at beww.org

(In anything-but-balmy Wyoming, snow is just starting, again)